Betting on a bullseye

Archery team advances to state

Alyssa Schmidt, Staff Writer

Qualifying for the state tournament in archery is no easy task, but this year’s team will be traveling to Belton on Mar. 5 to compete in the tournament. The students involved will be able to qualify for nationals individually or as a team for the National Tournament in Louisville, KY May 5-7.

“The team this year is by far the most consistent team I’ve had in 3 years,” archery coach Robin Wheelus said. “We have 12 returning members this year that are ready to go.”

These returning members have had the chance to participate in the state tournament before. Team member Chancie Whitaker has not only been to the state tournament, but participated in the national tournament.

“It’s great to know that I’m returning to a team with so much potential,” Whitaker said. “This year’s team has a better chance at making it to nationals as a team.”

Many first year members are also ready compete and qualify for more tournaments.

“It’s a team sport so everyone has to work even harder to get to nationals,” sophomore Trent Laughlin said. “We are responsible for practicing at home most of the time, but we do have practice at school once a week.”

Each individual is striving to get a perfect score of 300 at state. The top 10 boys and girls will qualify for nationals. The team can also qualify for either winning the high school division or having a collective score of over 3050.

“Most students, on the team or otherwise, will get into bow hunting after going through the course,” Mr. Wheelus said.

Many of the archery members got involved through the wildlife class offered as an elective here at DHS. All wildlife students go through the NASP course which teaches proper procedure and technique when handling a bow and arrow.

“This course teaches you something you wouldn’t normally do,” sophomore Sarah Caddell said. “We also try to compete in class, so that can get pretty intense but in a good way.”

The course and tournament are designed to strictly test ones skill when shooting. Everyone is required to use the same bow and arrows and shoot from the same distance. The team will be traveling to Belton in March in the hopes of making it to nationals.

Team members include:

Lane Adams

Colton Bean

Landry Byrd

Edna Calame

Megan Coleman

Christian Delgado

Joe Gonzalez

Meagan Hein

Trent Laughlin

Shania Mercer

Carley Miculka

Dylan Montes

Zane Morris

John Ortiz

James Pompa

Garrett Rutkowski

Arturo Terrazas

Clark Toalson

Chancie Whitaker

Jared Wood

Celeste Ytuarte