The student news site of Devine High School

The Warhorse

The Warhorse

The Warhorse

FCCLA travels to State

FCCLA (Family Career Community Leaders of America) members have been preparing for the state competition. The state competition will be held in Dallas, Tx. Many of the STAR (Students Taking Action with Recognition) event teams and the LEO (Leadership Enhancement Opportunities) have hoped to advance to this stage.

The first STAR event team competing  is the Interpersonal Communication with members Erik Ortiz, Maya Zenon and Rudy Rios. This is a team event that recognizes participants who use family and consumer sciences and apply techniques to develop a project in a chosen category.

“I’m really excited,” sophomore Maya Zenon, said. “I think our presentation is really good and our chances of advancing to nationals is high.”
Another STAR event team competing at the state level is the National Programs in Action with members Pricila Rodriguez, India Garcia and Katelynn Whitley. This is a team event that recognizes participants who explain how the planning process was used to implement a national program project.

One of the individual STAR event competitors is Victoria Guzman. She is competing in the Recycle and Redesign. This is an event that recognizes participants who redesign by selecting a used fashion or home post consumer item to recycle into a new product.

The last individual STAR event competitor is Wisper Nuyttens, who is participating in the Nutrition and Wellness event.  This is an individual event, where participants track health in their family.

The teams and LEO participants; junior Anyssa Villanueva, freshman Vannessa Hernandez, freshman Camila Mendoza and sophomore Jennifer Wooldridge will be competing in their respective events Thursday and Friday.

“I’m so excited to have this opportunity. I hope everyone does well at the state meet,” Villaneuva said.