The student news site of Devine High School

The Warhorse

The Warhorse

The Warhorse

12 Facts about drinking and driving

1) Drunk driving causes approximately one-third of all traffic fatalities in the United States.

2) On average, a drunk driver kills someone in the U.S. every 40 minutes.

3) Roughly three in every 10 Americans will be involved in an alcohol-related collision at some point in their life.

4) In 2006, nearly 20% of all 16- to 20-year-old drivers killed in motor vehicle collisions had a BAC level of .08 g/dL or higher.

5) The deadliest drunk-driving accident in the U.S. occurred in 1988 on Interstate 71 in Kentucky when a drunk driver with a BAC level of .24 g/dL caused a head-on collision with a school bus. The crash and ensuing fire killed 27 people (most of them children) and injured 34 others.

6) Nearly 75% of drunk drivers involved in fatal collisions are not wearing their safety belts.

7) Drugs other than alcohol (such as marijuana and cocaine) are involved in approximately 18% of fatal motor vehicle collisions and have most often been used in combination with alcohol.

8) Beer is the most common type of alcoholic beverage involved in both DUI arrests and fatal crashes, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHSTA). It is also the drink of choice in most cases of binge drinking and underage drinking.

9) According to one study, a first-time drunk-driving offender has already driven drunk more than 80 times before being arrested.

10) Drivers are far more likely to be alcohol impaired during the night than during the day. In 2007, 36% of drivers involved in nighttime fatal crashes were legally drunk versus just 9% during daytime collisions

11) Approximately 75% of fatal crashes occurring between midnight and 3 a.m. involve alcohol.

12) The highest rates of drunk driving occur among drivers aged 21-24. This age group makes up 35% of alcohol-impaired drivers involved in fatal collisions.