The student news site of Devine High School

The Warhorse

The Warhorse

The Warhorse

Devine FCCLA Travels to Regionals

The crisp windy air, smell of the ocean not far and the sounds of hundreds of teenagers practicing for the moment of their lives are all any FCCLA member can think about on February 1st. Everyone that morning was either nervously awaiting their competition time or practicing over and over to be just perfect.

The Devine FCCLA chapter attended the 2012-2013 Region V leadership conferences on January 31- February 2. The conference was held in Corpus Christi at the American Bank Convention Center. This conference determined who would get the chance to compete at the state conference on April 9, 2013 and who would have the opportunity to attend nationals in Nashville Tennessee during the month of July.

“I was really nervous but excited at the same time,” senior Victoria Guzman said, “I just wanted to do really well since it was my last regional competition and I had worked so hard on my project.”

Each student attending the regional conference had to compete in either a STAR (Students Taking Action with Recognition) or LEO (Leadership Enhancement Opportunities tests). If a student did not want to compete in either of these competitions, they would have had to run for Region V officer in order to attend. Out of the six teams that attended four of them placed and are now headed to the state conference.

“I was really surprised and excited that I made it past regionals,” freshman Katelynn Whitley said, “I didn’t expect to make it this far because of how inexperienced our team is.”