The student news site of Devine High School

The Warhorse

The Warhorse

The Warhorse

New UIL rules and regulations

Out with the old and in with new seems to be the new motto for U.I.L. Multiple rule changes have been made this year in both athletics and academics to try and improve current regulations.

The rule change that was put in effect the soonest had to do with the safety of football players at two a days. In years past there used to be two breaks one an hour and the other half an hour. This year though they had two small breaks half an hour and fifteen minutes.

“I preferred last years two big breaks instead of this years two little breaks,” senior Tyler Cook said, “There just wasn’t enough recovery time with the small breaks.”

The girl’s cross-country team has already felt the effects of a new rule change. In 4-A and 5-A meets the girls have to run three miles instead of their normal two.

“The extra mile was tough, but it’s nothing we haven’t trained for,” sophomore Josephine Guzman said.

Track and field will be affected by a rule change when it comes to post district meets. If you advance past district the coach can choose if they want to have the team run in an area meet a week later. The area meet is optional though.

“More than likely we will use the week that the area meet falls on to recover and prepare for Regionals,” Head track coach Lynn Cozby said.

The only academic team affected by rule changes is One Act Play. One of the rule changes allows alternates to remain with the crew in preparation areas.

“The rules changes this year will have no effect on how we operate,” O.A.P. Coach James Reyes said.

Devine has always had much success in U.I.L events in years past. If history repeats itself we will continue to be on top when it comes to all U.I.L events.