The student news site of Devine High School

The Warhorse

The Warhorse

The Warhorse

iPods in the classroom

Imagine sitting in a desk in a math class. Classmates are loudly chattering, however, some are not because they are listening to their iPods.  Studies have shown that the majority of students tend to focus more when they are listening to music.

This year, DHS making some changes to its iPod policy.  Last year, students were not allowed to use their iPods during school, let alone in class, but this year, it is different.

“Some teachers feel that students benefit from listening to music while doing school work.” Assistant Principal Steve Anderson said.

Surveys show that students work and study better while listening to music.  A survey done in Kentucky reflects that 85% of teachers agreed, that music helps some students focus and do better on class work assignments.  Students will better recall important information and stress is reduced while there is background music.

“I like listening to music in class,” senior Victoria Guzman said. “It drowns out other people and helps me concentrate on my work.”

Though iPods are allowed, it is entirely up to the teacher whether or not to allow the use of iPods in their classroom.  However, the iPod policy is a privilege and like all privileges, it can be taken away.  If the allowance of iPods in the classroom is taken advantage of, then the new rule of allowing iPods can go away.