The student news site of Devine High School

The Warhorse

The Warhorse

The Warhorse

Flex year comes to an end

With every new school year comes a new calendar and schedule and  this year is no different. One of the changes for this year is that there will be no flex days. When making this decisions to remove the flex days several this were taken into consideration, benefits vs. cost and the number of new testing dates were some of the things looked at.

“Several teachers, administrators and parents did not feel the flex program was as beneficial as they had hoped,” Principal Daryl Wendel said.

With flex gone, it affects teacher’s curriculum and senior activities. This change has caused teachers to re-evaluate and change their lesson plans.

“I am able to extend the lessons and add a whole novel project just for fun,” English I teacher Jana Dudley said.

In previous years, the seniors and their sponsors had to squeeze in all of the senior activities in the time given, but now they have an extra ten days to spread them out.

“This year the calendar of events will be different for the seniors because they’ve always had flex in the previous years,” senior class sponsor Neva Sessions said.

It is evident that teachers are affected by the removal of the flex program, but students are the ones who are most affected.  Students who did not qualify to get out for flex used the ten extra days to retake tests and raise their grades.  Not all students agree with the administration’s decision to get rid of flex.

“I feel as if the administration has taken away a reward for the students who have worked hard to make the grades and attendance,” sophomore Kyle Urrabazo said.

With ten extra days, being without flex will make the year extremely busy, but less cluttered. This means the students may have to work consistently throughout the year to pass their particular class.

“Flex doesn’t affect us as greatly as it does the other campuses,” Mr. Wendel said.