King George Reigns Over ACL

George+Start+during+his+first+ever+ACL+performance.+

Amy Price

George Start during his first ever ACL performance.

Mia Hernandez, News Writer

While COVID resulted in the cancellation of most music concerts the past year and a half, the world is slowly returning to its normal self. Music artists are eagerly rescheduling cancelled tours and live performances. Here in Texas, Austin City Limits (ACL Fest) returns to Zilker Park for two consecutive three-day weekends. 

“I really do like the line-up. Doja Cat and Billie Eilish, I would want to go see,” senior Kadence Yeats said. “Dayglow and Girl In Red, I would also definitely go see.” 

Billie Eilish enjoys a huge following, and junior Bailey Kohlleppel is among them. “She’s so inspiring. She has put her real problems out there. She doesn’t fake it like other celebrities do,” Kohlleppel said. “At her concerts, she does this little speech and it’s so inspiring and so real.”

Sophomore Samantha Vera is excited for Megan Thee Stallion. “She’s always dressed so cute and they’re very colorful. I like the beat of her music. She would be fun to go watch.”

This being Texas, many Devine students would take the opportunity to see country legend George Strait. “I just love his songs. He’s been doing this for so long, it’s incredible,” junior Allie Dugosh said. “His songs really touch my heart.”

Sophomore Riley Ramirez is also a Strait fan. “I’ve never seen George Strait in concert before, but he’s one of my favorite country singers. I’ve listened to him ever since I was little.”

Junior Jocelynn Zamarron has a more personal take. “My favorite song is Baby Blue because it was my grandpa’s favorite song, so it reminds me of him. Hearing George Strait brings back good memories.” 

Known for its diverse yearly lineup, ACL festival also features performances by Miley Cyrus, Machine Gun Kelly, Aaron Frazer, Duran Duran, and Tyler the Creator, among others. ACL provides great music, delicious festival food, drinks, and sweets from Austin and the surrounding area’s favorite restaurants.

To enter ACL Fest attendees had to present a printed copy of a negative COVID-19 test result obtained within the past 72 hours or show proof of full vaccination. The festival opened on October 1st and closed out last Sunday.