Eight years at area

Kaylah Hollenbeak, Staff Writer

Arabian volleyball players have furthered a successful season by claiming the Area Champions title for the eighth year in a row.

“I think we did good,” junior Gabriella Rodriguez said. “We stepped up and played like we needed to for playoffs.”

Before advancing to Area, the Arabians played the Pearsall Lady Mavericks at the district game in Pearsall on Tuesday, Oct. 23. Taking the win, the Arabians advanced to Bi-District.

“Our last district game was exciting,” junior Clarissa Zamora said. “We needed that win because it marked our third year in a row as District Champions.”

Bi-District was against the Cuero Gobblers in Floresville on Tuesday, Oct. 30. Arabians took the win in four sets. They then advanced to Area.

“I think the turn out was exactly how we expected,” senior Sara Moreno said. “We played to our fullest potential and that’s when we are most successful.”

The Area game was held Thursday, Nov. 1 in Beeville. The Arabians faced the Orange Grove Lady Bulldogs, coming out with a win in four sets. They lost the second, but came back and won the last two to claim the win.

“I didn’t think our games were close at all,” Rodriguez said. “Losing the second set really helped us push forward and beat them in the last two.”

On Tuesday, Nov. 6 the Arabians faced the La Vernia Lady Bears at Blossom Athletic Center in San Antonio for the Regional Quarter- Finalist title. Results were not available at press time.

“This season could not have been better as my last,” senior Sierra Pompa said. “It’s bittersweet because I’m sad that my high school career is over, but happy that my college career is just getting started.”