Dig Pink game raises money, awareness

Kadence Yeats, Staff Writer

Every year players, coaches and families across the nation come together to support the Side Out Foundation to help find a cure for breast cancer, DHS supports the cause by having an annual Dig Pink game.

“We’ve had players and coaches who have had family members that have been affected by breast cancer,” Head Volleyball Coach Leigh Ann Mclver said. “That’s why we have a Dig Pink game each year.”

Schools participate in the Dig Pink game to raise money for the Side out Foundation. The program gets athletes, coaches, and families to work as a team, improve leadership skills and teaches them what it is like to impact lives in a positive way.

“The Dig Pink game is a fundraiser game for breast cancer awareness month, so all the proceeds we earn that night go to the Side-Out Foundation,” Assistant Volleyball Coach Kailyn Rotramel said. “We also had a silent auction that night and all of our girls wore pink shirts for breast cancer awareness.”

Cody Carroll donated $850 for the game balls. He won the bid for the game balls used by the varsity girls and the junior varsity girls.

“This is the fifth year we’ve been auctioning the game balls,” Mclver said “The junior varsity game ball went for $50 and varsity ball went for $800.”

Numerous community members in Devine have been impacted by breast cancer. Through the Dig Pink game, the high school is able to show support and raise awareness for breast cancer.

“There have been a lot of staff members here at the high school and middle school that have been affected by breast cancer.” Mclver said. “It’s something that has affected all of us.”