Warhorse Basketball season continues

Brooke DuBose, Staff Writer

With a record of 12-12, the Warhorses are off to a successful start to the season.

“So far in the season we’ve done pretty decent,” junior Kam’eren Adams said.  “We’ve come a long way and are improving each and every day.”

With teams such as Fredericksburg and Cole, the warhorses aren’t short on tough competition.

“We’ve faced some pretty tough teams, and even though we didn’t get the outcome we wanted, we’ve improved and have learned from our mistakes,” junior Leonard Pompa said.

With seniors graduating and a new season in progress, spots on varsity need to be filled. Some of those positions are being filled by younger classmen.

“With it being my first year on varsity comes a lot of responsibility, but it’s a lot of fun and we are all focused on a District Championship,” sophomore Mason Burford said.

The Warhorses have improved greatly since the start of the season, and they expect to be nothing less than District Champions.

“I expect us to win out the rest of the season,” Pompa said.  “I want to be District Champions, which is something that hasn’t been done in a long time so being able to accomplish that would make us and our community proud. “

On Tues., Jan 29, the Warhorses faced the Crystal City Javelinas. With a winning score of 70-59. The score board was dominated by junior Leonard Pompa with a total of 27 individual points, junior Cash Walker with 18, and sophomore Justin Contreras with a total of 12 points.

“The game was pretty tough but we knew what we had to get done in order to get closer to the District Championship,” Contreras said,” “It felt good to score a good number of points because it shows the hard work paying off. I’m excited to see how the rest of the season will go.”