Schaefer to All-State Symphonic Band

Paige Williamson, Business Editor

For the second year in a row, a member of the Warhorse band has earned a spot in the ATSSB All-State Symphonic Band.

On Saturday Dec. 11, seven members of the Warhorse band competed in the All-Area Band competition for a spot in the All-State Band. Out of the seven, sophomore Brian Schaefer secured a spot in the band.

“We are very blessed to be able to take another player to state for two years in a row,” Head Band Director Jeff Miller said. “This is a major accomplishment not just for the player but also for the band program.”

To qualify for state, Schaefer had to participate in two rounds. The first round participants played all 12 major scales and their slow etude music selection. For the second round, the participants played their fast etude.

“It was a really cool experience getting to compete in such a large competition,” Schaefer said. “I did not expect to be the only one who went on because there are so many other amazing players in our band that I was sure were going to do great.”

During the Area competition, other Warhorse band members also tried out, including another trumpet player.

“Brian really worked hard for that spot, and he deserved everything he got,” junior Sydney Weyel said. “All the trumpets we competed against were super friendly.”

Schaefer placed second place in the Area competition out of 29 trumpets.

“I am so excited to get to move on to the All-State Symphonic Band as a sophomore,” Schaefer said. “I am really happy with my accomplishments, especially with how tough the Area competition was. I never thought I’d do so well.”

Schaefer will be starting rehearsals for the concert on Wed. Feb. 12 and will be performing at the Lila Cockrell Auditorium San Antonio Convention Center on Sat. Feb. 15.

“I have been given such an amazing honor to be able to continue on the new tradition of having a Warhorse band member being able to take a seat in the All-State Band,” Schaefer said. “I am looking forward to the new experience and the fun that is to follow after the concert and years to come.”