New app helps athletes

Kadence Yeats, Staff Writer

Student athletes now have an opportunity to help develop their leadership skills in sports and in their life through an app called the Student Athlete Program.

“I did some research over this summer trying to figure out what would work the best for the athletes,” Athletic Director Chad Quisenberry said. “I decided the Student Athletic Program was the best option.”

Athletes and coaches will be able to learn and execute the leadership skills taught by the app through assignments and activities.

“The Student Athlete Program touches on things outside of sports,” Basketball Coach Jim Sessions said. “Athletes are going to get lessons on different aspects of sports and life that we don’t always get to cover.”

Athletes are able to learn about important characteristics they should have and how they can be a better person from a different point of view than just the coaches’.

“I’m hoping the student athletes will get proactive in the program and that it will get them thinking in a different and better way,” Quisenberry said. “It gives the athletes a different perspective of sports and life.

The app is available for download on students’ and coaches’ phones, and they can also access it on computers.

“It brings the information to athletes, and to coaches on our phones, it’s going to be a big plus,” Sessions said. “I think it’s going to be very beneficial. Even as a coach, I can learn from it.”